Sunday, August 28, 2005

Colours of grass and harsh realities...

My friend Firaas works with his brother, Khaldoon, in the juice shop close to where I live. He's always talking as if the grass is greener on the other side. Especially when it comes to discussing life in Britain. Indeed the extent of the brainwashing was revealed when I was asked to compare life in Britain and Damascus. Bit of a tough order that, being as it's so early on in the game but I gave it my best shot. I said that there is much less personal security in the west, people are alot colder, cuisine isn't good comparatively and the weather is cack! At which point he said that British women are more beautiful than Damascene women. NO DUDE NO! I told him that i'm more attracted to a horse's arse then most English women (I said this in Arabic yay!)... Ok that was very harsh and not true but I had to make an extreme statement b'cos the idea that he got from American films was that the west was full of beautiful specimens. Correction dude, the US is full of obese people! Anyway it's all a matter of opinion... somebody's gotta love those michelin men ;)

Anyway I had to really emphasise the distinction between people of the UK and US. a) we're much cleverer people even though we elected Tony Blair b) we don't think of Ayrabs are terrorists, although sadly some do. The US on the otherhand has this awful monolithic view c) I'm struggling here cos i'm hot and sweaty, somebody help me out! .... Anyway, you get my drift.

Sadly this desire to go and live in Britain was not an isolated expression. It seems to be epidemic here in Damascus. I think this is to do with two things. Firstly many misconceptions about life in Britain. Yes we get payed more but life is also alot more expensive, and somehow we've been brainwashed to insuring everything apart from our toenails (coming soon to an insurance broker near you!). Secondly life here (damascus) is very difficult. It is a miracle somethings work here, for example transport. It is surely a work of God (as claimed one of my Damascene friends) that there aren't a zillion accidents a day.

I think alot of these stereotypes would be knocked down by a visit to the aforementioned countries. But sadly for many Syrians just travelling within Syria burns a huge hole in their pocket. This harsh reality hit me particularly when i asked my friend if he'd like to come with me to Egypt in the latter part of the study year; to which he replied: "My friend, we in Syria dream of leaving these borders and seeing other countries. It is just too expensive." It turned Firas and his brother Khaldoon work for $3 a day for 8 hours. And yet they always insist on paying for everything... I try my best to make the opposite happen of course but these Arabs are well practiced at making you feel like their guest - where in Britain do you find this hospitality?!

I hope I remember those words everytime I cross a border in the coming year. Just remember how lucky we are guys! Think about Firaas.

4 Comments:

Blogger Adil / Paul said...

Shabibi,

Did you have a ride in the triangular lift?

adil

3:15 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The first enlightening thing you have written on this blog. ;-) interesting read and doesn't surprise me.

9:42 pm  
Blogger NS said...

I did indeed! Nerve wracking experience - wish i took a photo... it's close by to Souk Hamdiyyah actually - al-Thawra hotel.

Hows it going Paul? Please don't be as stupid as me and leave packing to the 6 hours before you have to be at the airport. I ended up taking the randomest things that have no use - neither in Damascus of lala land. Yet I forgot to bring towels... :S

9:33 am  
Blogger NS said...

Thankfully my Dad, rather importantly, pointed out to me that I left out the cause of the brainwashing.

It is primarily from western advertising and films. Then the other factor is, as he elaborated, the usual teenage dreaming.

Thanks father dude..

9:11 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home