Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Touchdown!.... in Oman

{PHOTO: Burj Al-Arab Hotel in Dubai, UAE}

On my way back to Syria my flight included a stay-over in the Emirates, so I thought why not extend the stay and get to see Oman for a few days?

I'm not keen about the Arabian Peninsula at all. My previous visits to Dubai and Abu Dhabi hardly left me with a sense of love for the place; in fact, I pretty much hated those places. Dubai has nothing but bling shopping malls, nationals that think of themselves as God and a development rate that could only have been achieved with modern slavery.. The jury is still out as to whether Indians even benefit in the long term from working in the UAE.. one things for sure though, everybody non-Indian develops a subtle racism towards them.


So why come to its neighbour, Oman, then? Well from my first study year at Leeds the Omanis I have met to date have all been polite, modest and very keen about their country. Those same Omanis that I got to know held a Omani awareness day (or week? I may well be in a time warp) which really did stress the Omani keeness for sustainable development and the environment. Impressive, in stark contrast to the mentality of the neighbouring governments towards the environment. So all this motivated me to get on a 5 hour coach ride from Dubai to Muscat (Omani capital).

So here I am a few hours later.. The coach ride was a bit menacing, the driver didn't understand the concept speed safety and we took some crazy turns that even mr Schumacher would've been proud of. Stupidly I decided to start taking photos of the border post Oman (although clearly told to do otherwise by very obvious signs)... Border guard shouts at me and tells me to come over to him (oh no, I think, barely 5 mins into Omani soil and i've provoked the wrath of the Omani army, way to go Namir).. So i'm incredibly apologetic (hoping he doesn't take me in for questioning) and get let off rather lightly. Of course anywhere else in the Arab world and I could've got in a lot more trouble. So I arrive in the afternoon and, unfortunately, being my own Time Sponge, I intended to sleep for a couple of hours. Instead I slept for SIX and ruined the rest of my day... Those of you that know me know that is just standard procedure, unfortunately.

So i've got full days to tour the capital and get out to one of the nearby villages and explore the environment...

For those anxious to see photos of this beautiful place all I can offer right now is this, enjoy.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go dude! Get those photos up sharpish.

:)

10:55 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo! You took all those pictures? You're awesome, man! :p

Cool to see you over Christmas -- certainly unexpected. Keep rocking the Middle East.

About the Indians ... I read an article recently about the "oil-for-sweat" deal India has going with the Emirates and Saudi, I'll try and dig out a link for you. The gist was, as you say, they are not having a good time of it.

8:32 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home